Sunday, June 5, 2011

Is Blizzard Biased Against The Alliance?

Today me and a friend of mine decided to roll goblins. It isn't my first time cheating on the Alliance though. I have played horde before. I have a level 24 Blood Elf Paladin and a level 23 Undead Priest. My friend and I both agreed that playing horde in Cataclysm appears to be a better choice. Let me explain.

At last years Blizzcon in 2010, an audience member asked the World of Warcraft panel "If the hordes battlecry is 'For the horde!' then what is the alliance battlecry?" To which they laughed as they replied, "Please don't hurt me." It would seem like the guys from Blizzard are biased toward liking the horde more than the alliance.

In Cataclysm its no wonder that they choose Thrall, the leader of the horde, to be at the forefront of the expansion to battle the elements. I suppose Arthas was part of the alliance at one point in his life, so I guess they must gave the alliance credit for the last expansion. So this time the horde guy is trying to save the world and before the alliance was trying to destroy it?

The horde even gets better lore for their races than the alliance. For example I choose my two favorite races from both sides. Forsaken and Gnome.

The lore the race of the forsaken. You are a human who has fallen in battle and the val'kyrs have resurrected you from the dead. The life that have been given to you is for one purpose, to serve the Banshee Queen. Who is the Banshee Queen? Sylvanas Windrunner, A Ranger General of Silvermoon who fell against the scourge and was brought back to life as a banshee to serve the Lich King. However one day when the Lich King was weak she was able to break free from his grasp. She created a forsaken army and vowed vengeance on the scourge and the Lich King.

Statue of Lady Sylvanas Windrunner (Banshee Queen)
The lore of gnomes. No one knows anything about gnome history or gnomes prior to the Second War until they were discovered by the dwarves. The first gnomes that came into existence were "mechagnomes", small clockwork-creatures created by the Titans. Like many of the other beings created by the Titans, the "mechagnomes" were afflicted by the curse of the flesh which turned them into the fleshy being they are today. Today gnomes are a small race of mechanics and inventors who live underground.

High Tinker Mekkatorque "King of Gnomes"
Okay so gnomes were originally robots that turned into little people that like to build things. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here with gnomes and forsaken. However all the alliance races all have really lame back stories. The humans descended from the vrykul in Northrend. Nothing is known about the exact origin of night elves. Dwarfs descended from the earthen which were created by the Titans.

I think my alliance characters might be collecting some dust during Cataclysm.

No comments:

Post a Comment